Monday, June 13, 2016

Creative Pillows

Hello everyone!

Over the weekend, I decided to make a few changes to my home.  It was just too hot to go outside (despite our subdivision pool opening up).  So, I was looking for a way to bring a cooler feeling to my rooms.  I first brought in some pink peonies and pink cherry blossom branches.  




Now, do you see that red stripe grain sack pillow on the sofa above?

That is something I made very easily!  

I do not own a sewing machine and don't know how to make pillows the professional way.  What I do remember having though was a pillow cover that fit a pillow like a pillow case.  So, I thought.............I can do that!

So I took a vintage grain sack that I already had and cut it in half.  I simply slipped a pillow insert into the part with the seam already there.  Voila!  One pillow down, one to go.    

Here is the other half of the grain sack.


This one was open on both ends though.  Since I was left with one side that I had cut and one that was the original opening of the sack.  

Here you can see the side that was cut.


So, how to close the other side?  I simply used fabric glue and pressed the finished edges together evenly.  Then, I inserted a pillow insert into and it was as good as the other one I made!


If I ever want to, I can finish off the open end so it doesn't look so unfinished.  But, this grain sack doesn't fray too bad.  So, I'm not too worried about it.  

After making those,  I wasn't done yet.  I had a cotton rug that I wasn't using because one end was frayed.  It had been washed a few times which caused that to happen. So, I decided it would make a good looking pillow too.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of my work in progress but I can explain it easily. I simply found a pillow insert that would fit the size of the rug and wrapped the rug around the pillow.  I didn't have to cut anything!  


I simply used thread and needle to close up the sides of the rug around the pillow insert.  Here is one end.


I did that on both ends and then the part that wrapped around the pillow, was also sewn in place.  

Can you see my stitches?


I made sure that it lined up with the edge of the pillow too.  

So, now I have a grey and white striped pillow and two grain sack pillows that I love.  Neither of which cost me anything!  So, if you have some fabric glue, sharp scissors, needle and thread, you can make just about anything into a pillow!  

For those of you who make pillows professionally, please just look away.  I'm sure you are all cringing at my amateur sewing skills.  Ha!  Obviously, I won't be selling any pillows on Etsy any time soon.  But, I'm happy with them nonetheless.

Hope your Monday is going well.  It's going to be another scorching hot week of temps in the 90's.  I guess summer is officially here.

Thanks for visiting.

~ Kelly ~


24 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

Great ideas, Kelly! I have to be careful getting or adding new pillows. No room to store them!
Brenda

Eilis said...

You could have told me that you bought these at an upscale boutique and I would have believed you! They turned out great. My favorite projects are easy and affordable, so you get credit for both.

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Kelly, those turned out so great! Never would have known, if you hadn't told it! Lol!!! Don't you just love being able to create new pieces out of things you already have?

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

LOL! You are so cute telling the professional sewers to look away :-). I think your pillows look charming!

Unknown said...

They turned out just beautiful Kelly! I love the stripes. I'm in the same boat as you, a non-sewer. So I'm very impressed with your creations. Stay cool. xo

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Those look great. I really love the rug one. At least you have air!!!

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

You did a great job! As you probably remember, I don't sew either. Not at all. Lol! Fabric glue is my friend. :) I love when I can add things like this to my home without spending a dime.

chateau chic said...

Great ideas for freshening up your home for summer. Very cute pillows!
Mary Alice

Christine at Little Brags said...

Super job, your house is ready for summer...

Blondie's Journal said...

You think so creatively! I love the pillows and the cherry blossom branches are such a sweet touch! You are GOOD!
Jane

Maria Elena said...

Very nice!I love when you can reuse things you already had. I do that all the time. :) Take care, Maria

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

Firstly, your cheery blossoms and peonies are beautiful!

The pillows look amazing, and I especially like the rug one. Good repurposing!

Stay cool :).

xxz

Cynthia said...

Hi Kelly, I'm finally back. Great job. I can't sew a lick. Fabric glue is my fringe. They're all pretty, really love the the gray stripe..

Cindy

Linda said...

I LOVE your pillows and the clever ideas you have in making them!!!

Katie Mansfield said...

Your pillows look great. The one out of the grain sack is so darling. I love it.

Scribbler said...

They look very pretty. Although I can sew sometimes I have been known to use safety pins on the back side!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

You are a woman after my own heart. I don't own a sewing machine either, but I can hem. It's surprising how many things you can make hemming!

Art and Sand said...

Your home is so fresh and welcoming all the time.

This N That said...

Good job Kelly..Nice changes

Debra said...

The pillows look so good. I really like the striped one. That is a very clever idea. And I thought you did an excellent job hand sewing the edge shut.

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

I can not judge your pillow making skills... I must admit I have on several occasions used a glue gun to assemble them! haha! Hey, whatever works, right? Your pillows looks fabulous in your pretty space! And I am just loving your touches of pink florals! ...thanks for dropping in and leaving the kind comment on my "shelfie!" :) ~Rhonda

Junkchiccottage said...

Beautiful Kelly.
Hugs,
Kris

cynthia lee designs said...

Kelly...your pillows look great!!
hugs,
Cindy

mana76445 said...

I truly get pleasure from while I read your blogs and its content.
easybabytote.com