Monday, September 9, 2013

Rope Covered Chain

Hello everyone!

Hope you all had a nice weekend.  We had some pretty hot weather, but at least it was sunny.  

During an outside cleaning project, that my husband and I were doing, I stumbled across some rope that my older son had and said he wasn't using.  He gave it to me.  My head started spinning with ideas on how I could use this rope.  

Then, the light bulb went off and I knew just what I was going to do with it.

Here was my inspiration...........


See that huge rope used to hang that light fixture?  Wait, there's more!



Look at these.



So, you see where I'm going with this, right?

I took this rope (much longer than this piece)......



And turned it into this...........


All I did was wrap the rope tightly together around the existing chain.  And voila!  I secured it at the bottom and top with tie wraps.  


I love the texture and thickness it adds to the chain.  It also mimics the texture of burlap and sea grass which I really like.


It doesn't show up too well in this photo, but this gives you a sense of the overall feeling in the room now.


Even though this light fixture had to be re-positioned over the table, I still like it.  I just wrapped the rope around the straight part of the hanging chain.  I tried wrapping it around the draped part too, but it didn't look good.


If I ever want to remove it, it will be simple.  This is not permanent.

So, are you a fan of rope on light fixtures?  If you like rustic, I think it's pretty neat!

Inspiration pics can be found HERE

Thanks for stopping by!

~ Kelly ~

Linking to:  Inspire Me Tuesdays
                       Wow-Us-Wednesdays

 

40 comments:

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

I love it, Kelly! I've always liked that look. You did a wonderful job! Love the white pitcher with the flowers on your table too. :)

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Looks very cool Kelly!

Deserae said...

What a clever idea....it looks fabulous! I like that it is removable too in case you tire of it or want to use the rope for something else :o)
~Des

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

Great idea Kelly - lovin' the look. I agree with just wrapping the straight part, it looks fabulous. The added texture is sensational! Jane

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Well, aren't you the smartest? I love that.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Love it! It looks great!

Unknown said...

What great texture you have added. Luv the look!
Hugs, Gee

Debra@CommonGround said...

what a fun look, it really adds some great texture to the room! love it!

AntiqueChase said...

so pretty and I love that your son gave it to you!

pballard said...

I love your kitchen so bright and white. Love the rope you added also. Thanks for inspiring us all.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I absolutely love it, this is amazing and you are so clever. It definitley makes the light look so chic and super expensive too. Thanks for the info and tutorial. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party this afternoon. www.astrollthrulife.net. Hugs, Marty

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I love the way it looks in your kitchen! I would never have thought of it! It's great!

Olive said...

Hi Kelly, it looks great up there. I like that rustic look and it cost you nothing. thanks so much for your sweet comment about CC. xo, olive

Patty Rumaker said...

It looks fabulous, and I love the mixture of the actual chain and the rope combined.
Thanks, Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Brenda Pruitt said...

I do like it! It gives it such wonderful texture, and I'm all about texture!
Brenda

Junkchiccottage said...

Kelly,
This is great. I love what you did. The light fixture looks awesome.
Kris

Andrea said...

Love it!

chateau chic said...

You did a great job adding the rope around the chain and it looks good with your decor.
Mary Alice

Robin Johnson said...

I'm a fan now! What a great look. I had never seen that before but now I have a feeling I'm going to want to try it soon, very soon. Thanks

Ron said...

Kelly, I LOVE it. It looks so good. Very creative.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Clever- looks great!!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Awesome idea...I love it!!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I have a floor lamp (inexpensive from maybe Target I think) that I have wrapped with rope (thinner than yours), the metal part. That was before my blogging days...I still have it in our living room. I definitely love the texture it add.

Linda said...

I have known from Day 1 of your blog that you are one clever gal!!! You continue to astound and amaze me! You also INSPIRE me!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love it! It looks great!
~Cindy

Bliss said...

This is a great idea for updating my breakfast nook brass fixture. Pinning.

On a Wing and a Prayer said...

What a wonderful, fun idea! Now I have some thinking to do!!!!

This N That said...

Great look Kelly..Love the wall in the first picture..

Stacey said...

That looks very cool and industrial.

bj said...

this is waaay cool and now I want some rope...:)

Christine at Little Brags said...

you have the best ideas Kelly...I love it!!!

20 North Ora said...

How rustic and textural that is. Great idea.

I am your newest follower.

Judy

Meg@OliverandRust said...

this is my first time to your blog. love the light fixture. off to see more. here from savvy southern style.

must love junk said...

What a great detail!! Love how it turned out :)
Susan

Amy@HomeRemediesRX said...

Great way to recycle an unused item... And it looks fabulous! Very clever...

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Oh wow...I love it Kelly...what a great idea...I love the juxtaposition of the rope and the elegance of the furniture in the image...and love, love yours in the kitchen...great job Kelly!

Sandy said...

What a great idea! Yes, I am a fan of the rope. I love adding texture to a room and this does it perfectly. You're right, it adds a little bit of rustic texture to the mix. You do come up with some great ideas.

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Great look, Kelly!

Becca Bertotti said...

What a clever idea, Kelly! I love the texture it adds to your beautiful breakfast area!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Just saw this featured on WOW and I love it!