Monday, January 4, 2016

10 New Exciting Design Trends for 2016

Hello everyone!

I hope that you all enjoyed bringing in 2016!  We went over to our neighbors house and had a nice time with good food, drinks and laughter.  I love local parties in the neighborhood where you don't have to get out and drive!

With a brand new year upon us, I always enjoy finding out what the newest design trends are going to be.  Now, of course, you can choose to incorporate these into your house or not. It's no big deal if you don't! Trends are just that......"trends".    Some of these I KNOW I will not be doing because they don't fit with my lifestyle or location.  But I thought you might enjoy seeing what they are and deciding for yourself.  I also will give MY personal opinion about each one as well. 

1.  Black Stainless Steel in the Kitchen







My opinion:  I still prefer the shiny stainless steel look and think it is classic since they are used in restaurants by professionals.  I haven't really seen these in a kitchen yet, so I'm not sure if I love it or not.  I am open to the suggestion though.

2.  Re-using the Formal Dining Room as a Real Dining Room.


My opinion:  I never knew this had ever gone away!  I still have my dining room set up as a dining room, but apparently, many people have converted them into a study, office or even a media room!  So, I guess I'm already trending with this one!  Ha!


3.  Mismatched Cabinets



My opinion:  I feel like this has been around for a long time already.  I don't see it as a new trend.  Maybe it will be for building new homes though (that aren't custom).  

4.  Heated Entry Way Floors



My opinion:  I've heard of heated floors in the bathroom but not in the entry way.  This is probably best for cold climates, but since I live in the south, this wouldn't be something I would choose.

5.  Stylish Bathroom Mirrors



My opinion:  I have also seen this done already.  I hope that builders are getting the hint though.  The usual large piece of mirror glued to the wall above the vanity is not as pretty as a framed mirror. 



My opinion:  Hey, if you want this extra luxury and you can afford to add it to your bathroom, I say go for it!  Everything is better if it's a little cleaner.  I never would've thought that this would be a true "trend"!

7.  Using a Living Room Without Electronics



My opinion:  I guess this would work as an extra living room (like we all used to have) in addition to the family room.  It seems like we're going backwards now with the formal dining room AND formal living room.  ?????  I would rather just have one large family room personally.  

8.  Making the Fireplace Center Stage Instead of the TV.



My opinion:  I already do this because I think the fireplace is a natural focal point in a room.  I would still need a TV in the family room though so I don't see anything wrong with placing it over the fireplace mantel.  Then you have the best of both worlds. But, this trend sounds like they are "dissing" that idea.  

9.  Bathrooms that Feel More Like Living Spaces.



My opinion:  I really like this idea!  However, you have to have a large room to pull this off!  Who doesn't want a larger master bathroom?!  I would love to get ready everyday in a room like this.

10.  Mixed Materials in a Kitchen



My opinion:  I like this too!  I love a mix of materials in a home, in general, as long as it still has a good flow to it.  

I think most of these trends have been in the works in peoples homes already.  I haven't seen the bidets or black stainless steel appliances yet though.  So, to me, those were very interesting.  

Do you have any favorites that were mentioned?

Thanks for stopping by!

~ Kelly ~

(Note:  These trends were found on Houzz.com)


24 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I have already done some of the trends above for years. I have never been a fan of a TV over the fireplace, so I find another place in the room to use my tv. Happy New Year!

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

I really like the idea of mixing materials in a kitchen. As for the black stainless, I think I would like that best in a white kitchen. Some of these aren't really trends imo. Seems like they have been around a while.

xxx

Linda said...

Since downsizing we no longer have a dining room, but we still love our antique dining room furniture and use it every day in the Kitchen.
We have a great room where we watch TV. We still have a formal living room where
we entertain without the TV. Love the use of mixing materials in the kitchen.
Love the idea of heated floors...oh that would feel so good on these cold days.
Not a trend setter, love what we have.

Deserae said...

It's always interesting to see what is "trendy" for the new year. I have predicted for years that stainless steel isn't going anywhere no matter how many times the designers say it will. LOL!!!
Happy New Year!!!
~Des

Junkchiccottage said...

Love the new trends. Not sure I can get on board with black appliances. I am like you and like the shinny stainless steel! It is kind of sad to think most people are now using their dining rooms as other rooms. I can understand maybe making the formal dining room as a media or office space for more usability however it is sad we do not sit all together and share a meal much anymore. Wishing you a great start to the new year Kelly.
Kris

SImple and Serene Living said...

I like the mixed materials in the kitchen. I'm like you, Some of these seem pretty old hat. xo Laura

Scribbler said...

I agree that most of these ideas are nothing new. I have never liked a TV in the LR, because that is where I like to read and entertain, and I do not want to hear a blasted football game! (Or baseball, or basketball or golf or tennis -- you get the drift.) I like being able to park the husband and his sports TV away from the kitchen and living area for this reason.

I really do not like a TV over the fireplace, but in many newer homes that have the open concept living area, it is the only place to put it, because that is what the builder had in mind when he built that house. I still like having a dining room, always have, because who wants to look at the kitchen mess when they have company? Besides, I think it encourages civilized behavior, important if you are raising children, or just trying to get your husband not to come to the table in his undershirt! Ha!

I haven't seen these appliances in an actual house either but they do look interesting. New appliances cost too much to throw out everything you have and start over every time the wind shifts!

Unknown said...

When we bought our house almost 6 years ago it had a bidet! The house was built in 1983. However, the toilet and shower are in a small enclosed room in the master bath. The bidet is outside of this room by the sink. Anyone able to explain this interesting choice?

Anonymous said...

Interesting trends. I didn't see anything that looked like "farmhouse" which seems to be the trend I see the most. Shiplap being one of the bigger trends. I really liked the idea of a bigger bath, however is would never want an holstered piece of furniture in there. It looked like a curl up and read book, not in a bathroom! Ewww!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

It will be interesting to see which trends take off!

Little Farmstead said...

Hi Kelly - I enjoyed your commentary and agree with what your assessments! :) My favorite was the last picture of that gorgeous kitchen! Yes please. ~julie

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

I enjoyed this post so much! It took me a long time to warm up to stainless steel appliances because to me, they just looked cold and kind of like a doctor's office. I do like the shiny ones now, but I'm not sure if I could get used to the black stainless. I guess it's the decorator's ocd in me, but I just can't get used to the mismatched cabinets either. I like things to flow together and be symmetrical and this one just messes me up. Although, I do loved the mixed materials in the kitchen, so go figure! Lol! I love the stylish bathroom mirrors. We framed all ours in a few years ago and never looked back. :) I have thought about converting our dining room into another living room, but only because we really only have one living space and it would be nice to have another one to relax in. Especially during the holidays, it would be nice to have a cozy space for all the women to retreat to while the guys watch football. :) We have a pretty large breakfast room with a table that seats six, plus three barstools, so losing the dining room wouldn't be that big of a deal. Plus it kinda bugs me that we really only use our dining room twice a year. BTW, I LOVE the picture of the living room in #7! :)

Debra said...

Without knowing they were trends I have the dining room as the dining room. When I took down the tree in the living room I shifted the furniture and the fireplace is the focal point, not the TV which happens to be in a cabinet that doesn't look like a tv. Who knew? But since most of us have a budget I say decorate with what you love. Most of us can't be changing with each new trend. What a fun post.

This N That said...

I have black in my kitchen now but it's not SS..Very pretty but I don't cook much..Shows dust and finger prints.. The bathroom is a bit much..Not a fan of mixed cabinets..(Things have to match and flow) especially if the kitchen is small..My TV used to be over my fireplace..Framed mirror in BR is good..Have to keep the DR unless you have a big eat in kitchen..Enjoy your week..Interesting post..

Brenda Pruitt said...

I will be happy when stainless steel in the kitchen appliances is gone forever. I just don't think it makes for a cozy atmosphere. I don't have a TV in the living room, but I think most who are married have to for the men. Men and TVs! I personally don't like the idea of a bathroom as a sort of living space. Seems too weird for me.
Brenda

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I'm surprised about the formal living and dining rooms. Well, that's good since I have both, (and we hardly ever use the living room). As for the black stainless, I think that would look good in an ultra-modern kitchen. Even living in a cold climate, I wouldn't spend on heated entry way floors. A heated bathroom, yes! And I do love that huge bathroom! I really enjoyed this post, Kelly! It's good to know what's "in" even if I don't change a thing!

Art and Sand said...

I live in a tiny house and decorate for our beach lifestyle - I am not a trend setter and never will be.

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

I like 9 and 10 the best. We hope to re do our bathroom and I could see making a nice sitting area in there.. mostly because it's the only place I have privacy... lol with 3 kids still at home, I hide away in there sometimes ;) I like the rug in the kitchen... now I know there are spills etc.. but I still like it. I like mixed materials too. Maybe I'm in the minority but as far as appliances... I love white. I think it's classic. Happy New Year Kelly!

Unknown said...

Most of these trends sound rather dated to me !!!
As for that master bath - I would DIE for that - in fact because I've only ever bought older homes - I'd die for a master bath period LOL - never had one - can ou believe that? I'd settle for a teeny tiny one at this point !
Happy New Year Kelly to you and yours !
Hugs,
xxx

Bliss said...

I saw the black stainless and had to touch it as I walked by, just like a kid. I didn't dislike it, but I think I like regular better at this point. Maybe when I see the black in an awesome kitchen I will change my mind.

Van Lucas said...

I loved this post. I agree that a lot of those "trends" have been around for a while. I do love making the bathroom more comfortable. I had grown up with a very straight forward bathroom. There was a toilet, sink and bath and that was it. I recently stayed in a place with a comfy one and loved it.

Van Lucas @ JPC Custom Homes

Lisa said...

I read your article about new house trends for 2016 with great interest as I am planning to redecorate my house this year. I liked the fact that antique furniture is coming back into fashion as I love the vintage look. I like looking around second hand and antique shops for a bargin. The black stainisteel look is also lovely.

Lisa @ Westing House Small Appliances

Monty's Era said...

This place was amazing! Great food, it's smaller than others I guess but it is still a fair sized fun. The decor at this venue was amazing as every note of music reverberates off the beautiful walls. Everything about this event venue Chicago is nothing less than 5 stars.

Paintings Factory said...

Beautiful! The colors are true to advertising. In fact, I think it is prettier in person than online as the color seems "cleaner" in person. impressionist oil paintings of flowers