Thursday, October 31, 2013

First Fire of the Season

Happy Halloween!

Can you believe that November starts tomorrow? This year is practically over.  However, cold weather is just now starting.
It has been fairly warm here lately, but not long ago, it was actually cold enough for a fire in the fireplace.  That's probably my favorite thing about cold weather.  I love having a fire going at night!




Luckily, we still have plenty of firewood leftover from last Winter. 



We love a real wood burning fire!  It can get messy sometimes, but that's ok.  There's nothing like the warmth of a blazing fire in the fireplace.

 

Have you had a fire in your fireplace yet?  



Hope you all have a happy and safe Halloween today.
  
My son is dressing up as a zombie doctor!

Thanks for stopping by.

~ Kelly ~

28 comments:

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

No fires yet for us...but it is starting to get cool enough here in NJ. We have a gas fireplace...it's no where near as good as wood burning, but it's not messy. Hope your son has a great Halloween!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love a real fire, too and wish we could have one. We have a big crack in our fireplace. Poo!

Happy happy birthday!!

โ„ณartina @ Northern Nesting said...

That looks so pretty Kelly! We had a wood burning fireplace in our other house and loved it. This house has a gas one but that's ok we love it too.

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Kelly,
Oh love the last picture of your fireplace. That is the one thing I miss from our old home is the fireplace. Our little cottage now does not have one and I miss that. Enjoy the crackling of the wood burning and the smell oh that says fall for sure.
Kris

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/From Harvest To Table said...

We have a fireplace outside on the back patio and have had real fires there this fall, while dining outside.

Inside we have a gas fireplace and yes, it has been on. I love your real fireplace Kelly!

Judy said...

that fire looks wonderful! we haven't had one yet and we've had temps in the 80's this week! we don't have any firewood left over from last year so my husband is going to have to get some soon "just in case" we need it for thanksgiving.

also, wanted to come by and wish you a happy birthday!! hope it is great

Ron said...

So pretty! Unfortunately, it is still close to 90 here in NOLA!!! xo

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

So cozy!! It is pouring buckets at our house today, but still really warm out. So no fire for us. I hope the kids are able to go trick or treating. A zombie doctor sounds like a great costume! I hope your son has lots of fun!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I just saw on Kim's blog that it is your birthday today! Happy Birthday!!! I hope you have a wonderful day!!

Marissa said...

Oh I wish I could turn on ours :( too hot.. hopefully today or tomorrow a cold front will come though , but not enough for a fire! Your home looks stunning!

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

I see it's your birthday! Happy Birthday, Kelly!! Hope you're having a great day. :) We haven't had a fire yet, but it's pouring down rain today and I'd love to have one if it wasn't so hot. When we had our house built, I wanted to get a gas fireplace, but my hubby insisted on a real wood burning one, and I'm so glad we went with the real one! I love the warmth and crackle sounds. :) You're reminding me I need to stock up on firewood for the winter. I think we're completely out.

Marijke said...

I wish a had a real fireplace but no chimney at my place so I have an electric fireplace nice but I miss the sound...
groetjes van Marijke
www.bij-marijke-thuis.blogspot.nl

ImSoVintage Laura Walker said...

Your fire looks wonderful, Kelly. I miss having a real fireplace, but I am happy to at least have a gas one. A flip of the switch gives me my fire. xo Laura

Laura @ Top This Top That said...

I spotted that new pillow!. Happy birthday.

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday, Kelly!!!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I love the real thing, but I like more the convenience of the electric ones. Safety is also an issue for us with little ones running around. I do love the smell of wood burning

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your room is absolutely stunning with the wood fire burning in the fireplace, Kelly! Our old fireplace has been converted to gas, but there's nothing like a real wood fire.

Blondie's Journal said...

Your fire looks so warm and cozy! We haven't had one yet, in fact this week has been in the low sixties, I have windows open! Once we have some consecutive nights of cold we'll fire it up. We use real wood, too, but I like to throw one of the Duraflame logs in to keep it going steady.

Happy Halloween!

XO,
Jane

Patty Rumaker said...

I love a fireplace. I grew up with a real wood burning fireplace and a stove in the basement that kept the floors on the first floor nice and warm. Your room looks amazing - ready for fall and winter.
Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Well living in North Central Florida it does get cool enough for a fire a few times in the winter :-) We have an electric fireplace though, but it does throw a nice heat on those cold days. They are usually not until late December though.
Hugs, Gee

Linda said...

We have had a few! I love seeing yours!! I so totally agree with you! The 'mess' is so worth it! I have sisters that do not USE their fireplaces because it is too much trouble and too messy! I can't even imagine. It is worth every bit of the clean up and bother. Glad to see how much you enjoy YOURS!!!

cynthia lee designs said...

No fire in the fireplace here yet, but we just got some more firewood. Had a bad storm come thru this evening and a huge tree branch came down. The bad part is that it took out part of the neighbor's fence. :-(
~Cindy

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I am jealous that you have a real wood burning fireplace....I had two in a previous home..then thought I would want gas as all I would need is to flip a switch and not deal with the mess....after having two homes with gas fireplaces, I can honestly say I prefer the wood...I miss the smell and the crackling sounds of the wood!...The room looks so wonderful with the beautiful fire!

Bliss said...

No fires yet to admire, but we also have a heatilator that saw it's first fire up last week to get the chill out of the air.

missy said...

I love watching a fire..It's in the 60's here today..crazy!
I think it was you Kelly who helped me with the grey ticking fabric ??
It came today (from London)..It's perfect..not stamped..Thanks

Cynthia said...

No fires yet but were think ing of going for gas in our new home. Reading this and remembering fires in the home we just sold is making me wonder if we should do wood burning again. Better make that decision fast, LOL!

Cynthia

P.S. Your mantel is stunning!

BlueClearSky Elizabeth said...

I love fires both indoor and outdoor fireplaces. We only have a gas fire insert indoors so our fire pit gives us the real crackle and flame. Your room looks lovely. Happy weekend! We are off to The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair this weekend.

Anne said...

Kelly your fireplace is gorgeous! No fire yet.I need to schedule a check up first.Next week I am going to give them a call.Ours is gas,I am too lazy to keep it clean and worry about getting the wood LOL!
xx
Anne