Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Playing with my New Camera

Hello everyone!

Well, I finally got one!  I have my very first DSLR camera now.  It is so much fun to use but a lot of work trying to learn!  My husband surprised me the other morning with this Nikon D3300 camera.  He bought the kit with it so it included a strap, carrying case, wifi card to download pics to our phones etc.  He even bought me a tripod!  So, needless to say, I have been knee deep in learning how to use this thing!  It's much more complex than my little point and shoot that I had for years.  



We've been reading the manual, watching You Tube videos about it, and watching DVD material sent with the camera.  We've been learning new terms like ISO, aperature, effects, exposure compensation etc.  

Here are some pics taken with my new camera.


Trying out different lens:


Trying out different aperatures:






Using the view finder:


Using the tripod:




Using basic "point and shoot" style:


I think what I love about this camera  is that I don't have to edit them so much now.  I get a much clearer picture and when I download them to be edited, the picture is much larger to see on my computer screen.  I think I will enjoy using the tripod the most!  I am terrible about tipping the camera when I press "shoot" so all my pictures have to be straightened out afterwards.  

So, now I want to know (from those of you that have this same camera) what set-ups do you like the best?  Any advice or recommendations you would make?  

Be sure to come back here tonight at 7pm  (eastern standard time) for our weekly Share Your Style party too!


Thanks for stopping by!

~ Kelly ~

19 comments:

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Have fun with your new camera, Kelly! Your photos look lovely!

NanaDiana said...

Congrats on your "big girl" camera, Kelly. Whoo Hooo. Good for you. I am afraid that I am stuck with my old point and shoot and still can't figure it out....lol
You did a great job here already!!!! xo Diana

Barbara @ 21 Rosemary Lane said...

Wow Kelly what a thoughtful hubby you have! Your pictures are beautiful too. I took a class at my connunity college when i got my DSL camera. It made a world of difference in my photography. Have lots of fun playing with your new toy and congrats!!!
XO Barbara

Junkchiccottage said...

Have fun learning your new camera. The pictures look great.
Kris

20 North Ora said...

Have fun with that new camera. I just hate having to learn anything new! I guess it's my age. LOL

Judy

cynthia lee designs said...

What a nice surprise from your husband!! I'm sure you are having fun learning all that your new camera can do. Love the photos you shared today.
~Cindy

Debra@CommonGround said...

YAY Kelly, you will LOVE this new camera and your world and blogging will never be the same!! I have a Canon 70D and I'm still learning, I have to see something to figure it all out, so I need to try the YouTube videos. Have fun!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

How exciting! I am hoping to get a dls camera later this year. Now I can go to you with all my questions. ;)

Brenda Pruitt said...

How sweet of him to do that! I'm lazy. I won't learn anything about my camera. I just put it on automatic, make sure Flash is never on, and take pictures.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Your lilacs are beautiful! For some reason they just don't bloom very well where I live in northern CA. Congrats on the camera. Your hubby is a keeper!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Yay! You will love your photos. It is a lot to learn, but just take your time. The key is to us M and don't use Auto. Also you can turn your lights off in the house and just up the the apterture and exposure. You can up the ISO when needed, but for the clearest shots set it on 100 and use the tripod. You have to use the tripod for low ISO or the photo will be a blur. Have fun learning I want a new one, too better than my beginner one.

Finding Grace Interiors said...

Your husband just won "Husband of the year award" how sweet of him to surprise you with such wonderful gift!
Your pictures are beautiful! Have fun shooting your world with your new camera!

Rue said...

Congratulations on your new camera! It definitely takes great pictures, but I think the person behind it has a great eye ;)

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

I think you're doing a great job with your new camera already! I've gotten really bad lately about just using my phone to take all my blog pics. So bad, I know! I need to get back into the habit of using my DSLR. I always thought your pics were gorgeous, so I can only imagine how great they'll look with your new camera. And you have such a beautiful house to practice on!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

You are going to love it and it looks like you are already off to a great start!
Blessings,
Cindy

Bliss said...

Awesome! Are you getting the hang of saving photos in a size for blogger?

Anonymous said...

I noticed aL'Reve 24k 3 of your interesting posted posts and wished to ask in case you would be keen on reciprocal pages? Team have weblog about alexis texas ass! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good source like this.Here it is in a nutshell: You need to learn more in respect to.I absolutely need to frequent this site much more often, information like this is hard to come by.http://www.healthcaresdiscussion.com/lreve-24k/

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Congratulations on the new camera! I got the very same one for my birthday last September, and I LOVE it, but I am still figuring it out. My hubby bought me a tripod for Hanukkah, and it has made a huge difference. I have SO much to learn, still. I took a class but it wasn't very good. My local camera store is having a class on Nikon DSLRs in a couple of weeks, and I'm going to it. Your pictures are beautiful!

Rankerz said...

The design of the sofa and the flowers look very amazing I hope will bought very soon for my bed rooms. So I read the article on the pbn links for sale many peoples are taking an interest and good reponce back.