Friday, May 15, 2015

Painted Chest in the Foyer

Hello everyone!

I loved the color of the clock so much (from this post)  that I decided to add it to the chest of drawers in my foyer too.  However, I didn't really paint the whole thing.  I just dry brushed the blue paint over the grey so it instantly gave it an aged look. No wax was necessary. 

Here is the before:

This chest has been through many transformations.  It started out as a plain pine chest.  Then I painted it blue and the knobs white.  But, the blue was more blue than I cared for, so I painted it grey (to match my other furniture pieces).  Now, I've dry brushed a light blue all over it so it's a subtle change. 


This picture shows the color a bit better.


By simply dry brushing it on, I was able to do it quickly using some of the paint that I had left over.  It dried almost instantly too!


I styled the top by adding some faux lilacs in galvanized buckets. 







The paint that I used was from Farmhouse Paint and the color is blue toile.  I dry brushed that over a grey paint from Sherwin Williams called Fawn Brindle.

Hope you all have a great weekend planned!  I can't believe there is only one more week of school until summer break.  So, I better enjoy a quiet house while I still can!

Thanks for stopping by!

~ Kelly ~

Linking to: Best of the Weekend




19 comments:

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

Quick, easy and pretty! My kind of makeover ;).

I think I have that color blue in my stash somewhere. I had a lot of blue in our previous home, but very little now although I love blue in almost every shade.

Enjoy your weekend Kelly!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I love a quick project! Looks great Kelly!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That looks great with the added color. Wow, one more week of school. Gosh that went by quickly.

Pondside said...

It looks very good. I like the new version!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

It looks awesome, Kelly! You are so talented! I would be terrified of ruining it, but you have taken this beauty to a new level! Love it!

Deserae said...

Love the new improved chest....the lilacs look so pretty in the galvanized containers! Have a great weekend!!
~Des

Sandy said...

It looks great Kelly! I need to get a better grip on dry brushing because I really like the effect. I love your base color too. Have a great weekend!

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

It looks great! I've used the dry brush method a few times too and love how quickly it dries. That's a definite plus for an impatient decorator like me. :) Enjoy your quiet house while you can. We still have almost three weeks before school is out.

Finding Grace Interiors said...

Kelly what a great idea you had dry brushing some blue to that dresser. It was beautiful as it was before but now it's stunning!! I love the look you achieved!
I also love how you styled it. Very pretty!!
Only one more week for summer vacation!! That's awesome to have such long vacations!! My kids have school until the end of June! We had so many snow days the poor babies will be in school half of the summer!!
Have a lovely weekend!

Art and Sand said...

The chest looks lovely. Seeing it reminds me that I have a great box in the garage with rope handles. I need to give it a paint job and bring it into the house.

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Your dresser is beautiful! Love the color that you chose. Have a lovely weekend. Jo

Cynthia said...

Looks great Kelly. The lilacs are pretty. Have a super weekend

Cindy

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

So pretty Kelly! I need to practice with dry brushing. I've never tried it. I like the way the cabinet looks ... aged and antique. Love looking at your home too... so pretty.

Joy Junktion said...

I do like the light dry brush look with soft blue, Kelly! And, I really like the galvanized buckets with flowers, it happens to be what I'm using in my LR as well this spring! Enjoy a beautiful weekend! Blessings, Cindy

Unknown said...

I love how it turned out Kelly. How great that you achieved two beautiful, different looks with one can of paint!
xo Sally

chateau chic said...

Your chest is so pretty, Kelly! I love the subtle contrast it adds to your decor.
Mary Alice

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I like the new touches of paint. It looks great in your entrance. I also really like the buckets with flowers on top

Babs said...

Your chest looks great with the dry brushing. That really gives a lot of "character" to the piece. Nice job! And, happy almost Summer.

cynthia lee designs said...

Kelly...the chest looks awesome with the dry brushing on it. Love it!! Summer will be here soon, but it already feels like Summer here in my part of Ohio. We have had some really hot days this past week.
~Cindy