Tuesday, May 5, 2015

How to Make Homemade BBQ on the Grill

Hello everyone!

With the warmer weather finally upon us, I hereby declare it "grilling season"!  One of my family's favorite things to eat is barbecue sandwiches.  My husband loves to grill out and last Sunday smoked a Boston Butt on our Weber grill all day in order to make barbecue sandwiches that night.  Yum!  Here are the instructions if you would like to give it a try.


You will need the following to get started:

A grill or smoker with a thermometer on it.
charcoal briquettes
wood chips/chunks (made for smoking meat)
meat thermometer
meat rub seasoning
heavy duty aluminum foil
aluminum pan
meat - Boston Butt


You will need to begin this prep a day ahead of time.

Rinse and pat dry the meat.



Apply the rub to the meat 12-24 hrs prior to grilling.


We used this rub.


Wrap the meat in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.

Prepare your wood chips/chunks  by soaking them in water overnight as well.



We used hickory.



The next day, you can begin grilling the meat.  Actually, you will be smoking this meat on the grill.  You'll need an early start since the meat will need to cook for several hours.



Place a small aluminum pan filled with water or apple juice under the grill grate directly under where the meat will be placed. We used water.  This will keep the meat from drying out.

On the other side of the grill place charcoal briquettes and get them hot.

Add some of the wood chips/chunks that have been soaked in water on top of the charcoal briquettes.

Place the grill grate over all of that.


Then add your meat on top of the grate, on the side that does not have the hot coals, over your pan of water.

Close the lid to start the smoking process. You can open the vents on your grill cover, slightly, to help regulate your grill temperature too.

Try to keep the grill temp (located on top of the cover) at 250 degrees.  If it starts cooling down you'll need to add more charcoal and wood chips to give it more heat.  You will notice a lot of smoke coming from your grill during this process and that is what you want!



After about 6 hours of cooking, your meat temp should be at 160 degrees.  You'll need to use your meat thermometer to check that.  It will look burned , but trust me this is the way it is supposed to look.


Once your meat has reached that temp, remove it from the grill and wrap it in heavy duty aluminum foil.  This will help maintain moisture in the meat.

Place the wrapped meat back on the grill and close cover.


  Continue cooking for another 2 - 3 hours until your meat reaches 190 degrees.  (Use your meat thermometer for that.)

Once your meat has reached that temp, the cooking process is over.  Now it needs to rest.  You will need to place it in an empty cooler for another 2 - 3 hours.  It can stay wrapped during this resting period.

Once it has rested, unwrap the meat and place on a platter. (Don't panic that it looks so black.  I did too.  This is normal.)



 Grab another platter and begin pulling apart the meat with a large fork.  You want to separate the meat from the fat basically.





To serve:  place shredded meat on hamburger bun with heated BBQ sauce on top.

Voila!  Ready to eat now!



Sorry that I didn't have pictures taken for every detail.  If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll be glad to answer them.  I hope that you'll give this a try over the summer.  It's really good and your neighbors will all want to know what you're cooking!  It smells heavenly.

Thanks for stopping by!

~ Kelly ~

Linking to:  Wow-Us-Wednesdays
Tweak it Tuesday

13 comments:

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

Gosh, that looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe and instructions. I can only imagine how wonderful that smells while cooking! Yum!!! Have you seen those Big Green Egg grills? My hubby seriously wants one of those, but they're kind of pricey. I personally think the Weber grills are perfect. :)

Stacey said...

One of our favorite meals!! My husband has a huge custom built smoker in our backyard. If it were up to him we'd eat everything smoked. :)

Junkchiccottage said...

This looks so yummy. I bet the whole neighborhood smells so good when your hubby does this.
Kris

Blondie's Journal said...

I'd love to try this! We have a gas grill however. The rub looks and sounds great...I could probably do it but not have that smoky flavor. Still, yum!! Thanks so much! I bet the smell of it cooking drives you crazy!

Love your new pic on your sidebar! You're so pretty! :)

Jane x

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Gosh that looks good. How do you keep the coals hot for that many hours. Start some somewhere else and add them as needed?

Richella Parham said...

This looks wonderful! Thank you for the detailed step-by-step instructions. My husband has a big green egg and loves to smoke things (he's a champ at Baby Backs!), but he hasn't done Boston Butt. We'll have to give this a try.

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

This looks awesome, Kelly! My husband does our briskets like this on the big green egg! The smokey flavor is amazing!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I'm salivating, Katie! I bet everyone in the neighborhood was hoping for an invitation!

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

The aroma must have spread far and wide! For me, my favorite part is the crispy outside so when I saw the black the only thing I could think if was why wasn't I invited!?

Cynthia said...

I really wish we could try this. I'm bummer we have a gas Weber grill. I don't think it would work.

Cindy

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Next time you grill one of these, let me know...I will make the drive over!!!...Looks fabulous!

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

This sounds amazing Kelly! I hope I can find that seasoning.
Have a great Mothers Day!

Demetrius Guevara said...

I love grilling and I am always ready to try new recipes out whenever I have the chance. Your step by step instructions and great pictures make this easy to follow. I will admit that I have never tried making Boston Butt myself but come summer time it will be the first thing that touches my grill. Thanks for posting this!

Demetrius Guevara @ Solaire Gas Grills