Friday, August 19, 2016

Fireplace Makeover

Hello everyone!

I recently took a risk and did something drastic with my fireplace.  If you follow me on Instagram, then you already know what I did.  It's funny because I am not a risk taker in life, but I am in decorating.  Guess I trust my own instincts when I have control over something but not when I turn something over to someone else.  So, first of all,  I asked my husband what he thought of me doing this before I actually did it.  Because there was no going back after I did this project.  He surprised me with positive feedback.  So, I immediately started looking at tutorials and pictures of the finished product from those that had done this before me.  I was very excited to read that it was very simple.  Nothing special needed to be done.  I already had the supplies on hand to do this.  So no money was spent!

Okay, here is the before picture.



I took this with my i-phone so it's not a great pic.  I liked it like this for a very long time, but was wanting a lighter look with an old fashioned feel.  I was drawn to white painted fireplaces where there was no contrast between the mantel and the surround.

So, this is the after pic!


I immediately liked it.  I liked the lighter look and the clean looking hearth.  I think it opens up the room more and blends better with my white slipcovers.  This new look is much more versatile with any color scheme I choose now!




While I was painting this, my husband asked me how many times it had been painted already.  I told him I believed it was 3 times.  Now, I'm back to white! However, the stone had never been painted before.  Poor fireplace!  



Here are some inspirational pics that I liked.



The tutorial that I used was found from this blogger. (See source below pic.)


Have you ever done a dramatic makeover with your fireplace?  Or, are you lucky and just love yours the way it is already?

Hope you have a great weekend!

~ Kelly ~

23 comments:

Deserae said...

It's very pretty....I love the lighter look!
Have a great weekend!
~Des

This N That said...

Blends in with your decore better..I am a big fan of natural stone and wood..They both look good..Enjoy your weekend.

cynthia lee designs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cynthia lee designs said...

Your fireplace looks great painted white. We are going to paint ours or put shiplap on it. I just can't decide which I want to do.
~Cindy

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

This really looks so good, Kelly! The most I have done to mine is paint the brass trim black. You did a great job!

Linda said...

I love it!!! Good for you in going for it!!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Wow! That is a big change!

Sandy A said...

I love it..light and updated and really a compliment to your design style and colors in your home...

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

I love the white! It looks great and I'm already imagining how pretty it'll look with fall and Christmas touches. :) One of the houses we lived in didn't have a mantel, so we made one out of wood and used one of those "marbling" kits to give it a black and white marble effect. My, how my tastes have changed! :)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

It really does look good you risk taker you!

Scribbler said...

I love the lighter look. In our last house, we had a fireplace much like the one in your first inspiration photo. I wasted no time painting it white, by using first primer mixed with powdered joint compound, then white paint mixed with joint compound. I later refaced it and covered it up altogether, but for a few years, it looked really good with just the white painted brick. I think you are going to be really happy with your efforts!

AntiqueChase said...

It looks great! I recently painted mine too and I wish I would have done it sooner!!
~Marcy

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Looks GREAT, Kelly! WOW what a difference it makes. Whew!

In my last house (before I was remarried, many years ago) I had a red brick fireplace I dreamed of painting but moved before I ever found the nerve or energy to do it. I was fortunate enough moving into this forever home that the fireplace is "me" so already bright and light. Thank goodness or I don'tg think I'd have the nerve!

Well done.

Have a wonderful weekend. : - )

Debra said...

I love the new look for the fireplace. The white really brings out the detail of the surround. I didn't notice the wreath until I saw the white. It is very nice. I have white tile around my fireplace so I am pretty happy with that. I would like to plank the wall above it but I am not sure how ambitious I feel. :)

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

Good for you for taking the risk! It paid off Kelly, as it really looks oerfect with your decor.

Years ago I marbleized our slate fireplace. It looked beautiful and I never tired of it. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut.

xxx

Maria Elena said...

Kelly, it looks gorgeous! I love the white! It is going to look beautiful with any decor. Have a wonderful weekend! Maria

Pinehurst Farm said...

TOTALLY LOVE IT!!
BLESSINGS

Naomi said...


I am undecided about whether I like the all-whiteness on the fireplace or not. I definitely think it is better than it was before you painted it. Somehow, I find it a lot of white with nothing contrasting. I wonder if the mantel could be changed to a wooden one or painted another color or something? But, if you love it, that's all that matters, right! Glad you're happy you did it?

I have a question for you on a completely different subject. At the top of your home page you show a figure--somewhat primitive--is it a Santos? A Hispanic figure of a saint? I really, really love it. It's so simple, but appealing to me. I'd love to know how/where you acquired it if you wouldn't mind sharing that information.

Unknown said...

I love your new fireplace look!! Our brick fireplace was painted golden taupe when we first moved in. It was the very first thing I changed. Xo

Christine at Little Brags said...

Big change Kelly!!!! Totally changes the look and feel of the room. That was indeed a RISKY thing to do! It looks lovely, but I have to admit I liked the contrast before...But then again you can always add contrast with accessories if you are in the mood!!! xoxoxo

cloches and lavender said...

Taking t he risk paid off Kelly. Love it!

Cindy

Linda said...

Love the new look! Glad you took the risk!

Bliss said...

I agree, it looks great and blends with your room really nicely. I am a chicken, coward, decorating scaredy cat, so on anything that there is no going back, I probably am too frightened to go!