Friday, August 26, 2016

French Farmhouse Guest Room for One

Hello everyone!

TGIF!  I thought I would share some changes I made to my very seldom used small guest room.  It's actually where a lot of my stuff gets used that I still like but don't have a place for anywhere else.  Doesn't everyone have a room like that?  Luckily, I have a lot to choose from since I'm always replacing things around the house.

I've shared this room before, but it looked slightly different then. 




First, I moved the wicker trunks up here from my sitting room downstairs.  Once we put up some shiplap, I changed things around in that room, so the trunks had nowhere else to go.  I was determined to find a new spot for them.  So they ended up here beside the bed.


In order to fit the trunks in here, I had to move the bedside table to the other side of the bed.  It replaced a floor lamp that was here.  


I like this new arrangement much better. 

I changed out some artwork on the walls.  The wire basket came down off the top of the bed (because it wobbled if someone got in the bed).  Ironically, I hung a "southern quote" above the bed that is otherwise very "French" looking.  Oh well.  I do live in the south after all.  


The other side of the room, received a grey and white polka dot pillow and lots of cable knit throws on top of the dresser.


It's  a small room that mostly allows for my oldest son to sleep over if he comes and visits overnight.  He lives about an hour away so that doesn't happen much!  Ha!  This used to be his bedroom.  He has made some major changes in his life this year that I'm very happy about.  So, hopefully, he will be on good path for his future (both for his health and career).  

Hope you all have a great weekend.

~ Kelly ~

26 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks so inviting Kelly!! I love the side tables and the cute polka dot pillow. What a great way to use the baskets in here! Glad to hear your son is doing well! xo

Connie said...

Hello Kelly, I love the whites and greys . . . your room looks so inviting and relaxing. You did a marvelous job :)

Deserae said...

I love the wicker trunks next to the bed! Such a cute and inviting room :o) Congrats to your son for getting his life on track too!
Have a great weekend!
~Des

Christine at Little Brags said...

ohh those wicker trunks look amazing up there as well!!!! Super awesome room Kelly!!!

Twinkle Terrior said...

How beautiful Kelly1 Have a great w-end.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This is a lovely room, Kelly! One nice thing about neutrals in your home...you can always recycle pieces into any other room! I love how you used pieces from other areas of the house to decorate this pretty room! Glad to hear your son is doing well! Happy weekend!

Summer said...

Those trunks are so beautiful ♥


summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

I love the trunks next to the bed! You've got a lovely guest room! Glad to hear your son is on a good path for his future. Wishing him the best!

Stacey said...

Kelly, that room is beautiful. Nobody would ever guess this was the home of a teenage boy at one time. I love the soft colors and those wicker trunks were a great choice.

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

So pretty,Kelly. The trunks look great in there and I love the look of the comfy cable knit throws. Happy weekend to you! Jane

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

It looks like a very comfy room. Love the polka dot gray pillow.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

The room looks wonderful! I love how the color palette flows so nicely through your home so you can always change things up.

Betty said...

It looks so pretty. I am not sure if your guests would want to leave.

Junkchiccottage said...

Love your sweet guest room. So cozy and pretty.
Kris

Linda said...

I love your room!! It looks just like 'you!'

Eilis said...

Your wicker trunks look great by the bed. One of our guest bedrooms also doubles as my son's room when he comes home. I love how you managed a balance between the two uses.

Debra said...

I had to chuckle because I treat my guest room like you do. You have given me some good ideas as my guest room needs some decorating love.

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

Such a pretty and inviting room Kelly! I love everything about it.

XXX

Brenda Pruitt said...

Looks great, Kelly!
Brenda

Blondie's Journal said...

I really love this room, Kelly. It is, in fact, much the way I want to do one guest room at the lake. Simple, serene and perfect for the guys and girls.

Great job!

Jane

This N That said...

Looks very inviting..Love the trunks..I'm sure it didn't look like that when your son used it full time..Happy Sunday

chateau chic said...

Your bedroom looks so calming and lovely, Kelly.
Mary Alice

Katie Mansfield said...

What a darling room. It would be a cozy place to stay. I love the rocker in the corner.

cloches and lavender said...

Very pretty Kelly. We come with Peanut and Reeses and stay for a bit. HA

Cindy

Pamela said...

Looks great Kelly! Love the baskets in the corner.

Bliss said...

You know, I've realized you put gray together like nobody else. I don't always like the combos I see elsewhere, but I always like your versions of gray and pattern.