Sunday, October 7, 2012

Stool Makeover

Hello everyone!
 
Hope you all had a good weekend.  I worked on a small project at home using things I already had.  I started to take this little stool to the consignment store to sell, and then it dawned on me that maybe I should keep it after all.  I had an idea!
 
This is what it started out like.
 
 
I still liked the stool, but it didn't match my decor anymore.  So, a little chalk paint to the rescue!  (I know, I know.....I'm hooked now!)
 
Here it is after painting it in french linen ASCP. Then I covered the leopard print with drop cloth fabric.
 

I would have kept the leopard, but  it had too much gold in it and clashed with the grey.  I do like leopard though!
 
Rather than using a staple gun, I decided to use hot glue for this.  No one is actually going to sit or stand on this.  It is just for decoration.  Hot glue was easier to work with for this project.
 
One corner down, and one more to go!
 



By the way, I am not doing a perfect job on this, so please don't judge me too harshly.  I'm fully aware of its flaws.  ha!
 
Now that the stool is painted and the fabric is covered, I added some white paint to some of the raised details.
 
 
I probably should add some gimp trim around the edges of the fabric.  But for now, it's fine.
 
I placed it under my secretary.  Who knows if it will stay there or not. (The burlap pouf that was there, moved beside the secretary in the corner.)
 


So, if you're thinking about donating or selling something, take a second look at it.  You may have a diamond in the rough!
 
Now, I'm going to have to go buy some more chalk paint.  I'm almost out.  Oh no!
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
~ Kelly ~
 








 


24 comments:

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I think it turned out great and it looks so pretty under the secretary! I need more As Chalkpaint too!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

the new look looks great! I am a fan of dropcloth!

Shannon said...

I really need to invest in some of that chalk paint but like you I might just start painting everything around me ;)
The stool turned out so cute! It's amazing what a little paint can do.

chateau chic said...

Kelly, Your stool makeover is SO CUTE! I love it and it looks perfect under your secretary.
Mary Alice

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Very cute! I like how you added the white paint to all the details.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That's cute and yes you are hooked.

Unknown said...

Cute stool!!
Cheers, Gee

Deserae said...

I love the little stool in grey...it's so darn cute!
~Des

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Too cute!! Love the color!

Linda said...

FANTASTIC!!! You have created a brand new look....
I have dropcloth on hand all the time.
You never know when you could use a bit.
The legs done in chalk paint ooh lala!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly! Oh, you certainly remade your little stool. Love the color and your recovering of it. You're good! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Great job Kelly....good decision not to consign it!!...I love it!!

At The Picket Fence said...

The stool looks just lovely Kelly! You gave it a wonderful fresh face-lift and it is perfect in that spot! :-)
Vanessa

SImple and Serene Living said...

It looks so cute, Kelly. :)

Teddee Grace said...

It was so cute before!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Super cute Kelly...it would also look adorable with a little ruffled slip cover. Hope you are well. Have a beautiful week!

Anne said...

Kelly what a cute stool! Great transformation too! Love that color!
xx
Anne

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your stool looks so cute with its newly painted wood finish!

This N That said...

As I look around, I see many uses for chalk paint..I'd never stop..So..Better not to start..??

must love junk said...

It's adorable! Love that you said 'Don't judge me too harshly'! That's how I always feel with my decor and its' imperfections! But I wouldn't have it any other way :)
Great job!
Susan

Jen Orsini said...

What a cutie! I especially like your white accents, that's a great way to show off the carving. (I have a little stool like it for the grand kids to sit or stand on, but hey, I may need to try your idea on it)

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Kelly, The little stool is such a cutie now!

925silver said...

Hello there, I found your site by way of Google at the same time as looking for a related topic, your site got here up, it seems to be great. I’ve bookmarked to my favourites|added to bookmarks.

Silver Picture Frames

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a great little stool, Kelly! I've got my eye out for one at the thrift store or antique mart. This one has such great detail, too.