Thursday, May 16, 2013

Flowers, Flowers Everywhere

Hello everyone!

How has your week been going so far?  

Mine has been good.  The weather has been so nice, with warm temps and sunshine.  So, I'm not complaining.  

I feel so awful for the folks affected by the terrible tornadoes in Texas though.  My heart goes out to them.  We live with the fear of tornadoes here too, so you never know what can happen.  

Around my yard, I've finally added some flower baskets and planted flowers in my porch planters.  



I hung flower baskets from this vintage candle holder.  It came from an antique store many years ago.  It has hanging candle holders with it, but I took them off and hung flower baskets instead.  At night, I can convert it  back to candles when sitting outside.


Our grass in the front yard looks much better than the back yard.  It will look better when it's finished greening up.  So, just ignore the splotchy look of it right now.  

I hung these yellow flowers off my front porch.


We planted purple petunia's in our porch planters.




I decided not to plant sweet potato vine with it this year because it hides the flowers too much and all you see is the green vine.  I have so much green around the front of the house as it is.  These flowers should spill over the baskets eventually.  

My front door got a new burlap wreath I found at Hobby Lobby too.  I thought it was cute.  I can use this even in the Fall!


I still plan on getting some ferns to flank the front door.  That will give me some color to accent the wood door.

The flowers used on our front porch came from this beautiful nursery.



Isn't it stunning?  It's called Lady Slipper.  My husband uses them when he needs to buy flowers for his customers.  He has a lawn business on the side.  They have a great selection with superior quality.  They have row after row of greenhouses where they grow everything there and sell it to the public.


The fun thing about shopping there are all the chickens and roosters running around.



They just walk among the plants and "do their thing"!    They're quite pretty too.







They're not close to my house though, so we have to drive a bit to get to it.  But it's worth the drive.



Doesn't this place make you want to go plant something?  

Thanks for stopping by!

~ Kelly ~

29 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I still need plants. How cute having chickens running around there.

Rebecca said...

What is it about chickens that are so entertaining?! They always make me smile xx

Deserae said...

Love your antique candle holder with the hanging baskets....your flowers look so pretty! I haven't bought any flowers for my planters yet. I usually wait until after Mother's Day when the threat of freeze has passed. I am thinking of trying something different this year...we'll see how that goes?!?! LOL
~Des

Olive said...

Petunias are my favorite for our summer heat too Kelly. Love the chickens at the nursery.

Victoria's Vintage Designs said...

Your flowers look great Kelly!
I love how you repurposed the candle holder!! The wreath is so sweet, I do not have a Hobby Lobby nearby, wish I did... Have a great day!

Linda said...

Great choice in plants! We are buying ours on Friday when we go to Fort Worth! Wish I'd had them already since we got such a soaking rain last night! Still dealing with water issues in the den that we THOUGHT we had taken care of last year! No real damage here in our immediate area but Granbury was hard hit and at least 6 people lost their lives. Weather is exciting and dangerous!
That wreath is lovely!

Japolina said...

Your flowers look so pretty

Unknown said...

The antique plant/candle hanger is a really neat piece, Kelly. The flowers look pretty and I think the chickens at the greenhouse are so funny. Thinking too of those affected in Texas. Tornadoes here are rare and usually mild but we often think of those in tornado areas when we watch our weather channel.

Stacey said...

I always want to plant something but that nursery would really make me want to kick it up a notch.

Your flowers look amazing.

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

I love the chickens running around!! We have an old used book store that has a resident cat that roams the aisles. :) My petunias are on their last leg. It's too hot for them now and I need to replace them. I love how you used that candle holder! Your flowers are gorgeous! Love your porch too. I've always wanted a porch swing. :)I have a list a mile long for Hobby Lobby. LOL! That wreath is perfect for all seasons.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I love to visit nurseries and shops that have animals running around. So fun!
Your candle holder turned plant stand is gorgeous! Such a pretty patina!
Such a cute wreath on your front door. Lovin' the burlap flowers on it!

Unknown said...

I WANT A CHICKEN!

Botanic Bleu said...

Oh, how wonderful to have such a fantastic nursery that sells to the public. Your front and back yards/porches look so inviting with your flowers and wreath.

Judith

Andrea said...

I love a beautiful nursery! Your yard is looking gorgeous

Kathi said...

Hi Kelly, I live pretty close to the Lady Slipper. Yes, they do have beautiful plants. Have you every driven up the road a little ways and eaten at Family Traditions...is a great place for country cooking! I love your hanging baskets and flower baskets on your front porch. I just bought boston ferns for my fron porch and now I'm looking at something for my flower baskets..
xoxo
Kathi

cynthia lee designs said...

Love the chicken and roosters hanging out in the greenhouse! Your flowers are so pretty. I need to get out this weekend to get some.
hugs,
Cindy

Christine at Little Brags said...

your flowers are beautiful. Has your weather finally warmed up??? Love the chickens in the nursery!

Linda said...

Wish the winds would die down long enough to do some planting...
I keep thinking we live in the windy city.
The temps here are slowly rising so there's still hope to get the plants in over the long weekend!!
Love the cute hangers you have.
Must look up ladies slippers.

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I love your idea about using the candle holder for flower baskets. I have a deck that looks similar to yours, and I never thought to put hanging flowers on it, but I am going to try it now! Here in NJ, I need to wait a couple of weeks before doing my flowers -- we could still get a frost. The roosters and chickens added such a wonderful touch to your post.

Anne said...

I love your swing Kelly! One of my favorite places to visit this time of the year is a nursery.I love walking around looking at all the beautiful plants and flowers.Usually the sound of a fountain is close by.It is so soothing <3
xx
Anne

chateau chic said...

The flowers look so pretty this time of year. Love the iron stand with your two hanging baskets.
Mary Alice

Blondie's Journal said...

I love that vintage candle/basket holder. The garden is about the only place I really like vintage pieces (for myself). And that wreath...I'd love to find one like that.

Those chickens are just too cute! And lady's slippers...I have them at the lake and I love them!

XO,
Jane

Pondside said...

You've got some lovely colour there!
I think I'd really like a nursery with hens and roosters running around!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Your flowers look great Kelly. Love the antique holder. What a great place to shop for plants!

bj said...

Lovin' the flowers and those cute chickens...

must love junk said...

All your flowers look so pretty, and that burlap wreath is just a perfect touch! :)
Susan

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I was working in the yard all day today...LOVE that wreath!

Cynthia said...

I love gardening and we are moving so I will not be doing any this year (via my blog) we haven't even started building yet and I am thinking about what I am going to plant already. Love the chickens running around.

Cynthia

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Great nursery with those cute chickens!...Looks like you are well on your way with those beautiful flowers...I love the hanging basket stand....