Friday, August 30, 2013

The Ever Changing Family Room

Hello everyone!

Are y'all glad it's Friday?  And are you even happier that it's a holiday weekend?  I know my youngest son is.  He has been adjusting to middle school for several weeks now and is ready for his first extra day off.  He does not deal with change well, so I think this whole new school thing as been hard for him.  

Speaking of change.........I change things up around the house all the time!  I think it's fun.  So, here are some changes I made to the family room (the one that seems to change the most).  

This is what started the whole thing in the first place.



The white rack on the wall back there with the plates in it came from my sons room!  It was intended to be used as a magazine/book holder (from Pottery Barn Kids).  It was used that way for many years, that is until I confiscated it!  My son NEVER hangs out in his room.  He isn't even missing it.  LOL!



So, it is now hanging here.  I filled it with some brown and white transfer ware plates.  

Of course, other things got changed around because of it.  The dog picture got moved over here.


Then the mantel got a little makeover.


I moved my horse back in here and moved the burlap ottoman out.  

The coffee table got a new look too.


I placed a basket with some topiaries in it and draped a striped pillow cover in it for interest.  



A few pillows got moved around too.  They are never safe in one place too long!   (Oh, did you notice I repainted the little round table beside the sofa in a grey color?)  I think it's now on its 5th color change by now.  


So here she is!  I'm happy with these changes until the next big idea comes in my head.  I had to take pics with the overhead chandelier on because it's very overcast outside and my lighting was very poor.  So, if things look a little different that's why.  

Do you have big plans for Labor Day this weekend?  I have no idea what we're going to do yet.  

Have a great holiday weekend!

Thanks for stopping by.

~ Kelly ~

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Luv changes!! It;s what keeps thing interesting and fresh. At least that's what I tell myself :-)Pretty changes..
Holiday weekend. YEAH!!! Not sure what we are doing beyond taking our GrandBella out for a picnic and bike riding in the park.
have a wonderful weekend what ever you do..
Hugs, Gee

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love the new rack idea. Looks good there. No plans here. We may have rain, but what else is new. I knew the sun couldn't stay around too long.

Andrea said...

Looks great! We are trying to get lots done in the yard, mixed in with some family fun and a little Ikea trip :)

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

How smart you are to use that rack for your plates!! I love your changes! That dog picture is one of my favorites. :) I'm always changing things up too. In fact, my hubby doesn't know it yet, but we're about to re-do our master bedroom. LOL! It all started when I ordered a new comforter set on Zulily the other day. :)I'm also hoping to get some curtains hung in the kitchen this weekend. Looks like it'll be another "working" weekend for my hubby. :)

Penny Carlson said...

That plate rack is great! Happy Labor Day Weekend!

NanaDiana said...

I love the overall sweet serenity of your home, Kelly. It is really a gorgeous place with such a restful feeling to it. You do a grand job of pulling things together.
Love the magazine rack repurposed...great idea- xo Diana

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Kelly, love the rack on the wall, with the brown and white transferware! Your changes look great.

chateau chic said...

The magazine rack makes a terrific plate holder. Great idea, Kelly!!
Have a good holiday weekend!
Mary Alice

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

Your home always looks so pretty. I like the changes, especially the plate rack. My son's birthday is Sunday, we're just hanging around here doing family stuff. Have a great weekend!

Anne said...

Beautiful changes Kelly! Love the idea to use that magazine/book rack for displaying your pretty dishes!No plans yet...and right now as I type it is storming outside!
xx
Anne

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh Kelly,

You have the prettiest home - I love what you have done here...so crisp and clean and fresh and bright - just awesome!

Hubs and I decided to stay home and work this weekend - just try to catch up. Feels good knowing we don't have any truly fixed engagements - it's a big relief, as this week has been insanely busy and st restful.

Enjoy yours, whatever you do!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I love how you always change things up, Kelly! It keeps things interesting! The new look is great, and I'm sure whatever you do next will be, too!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I like how you turned the magazine rack into a display of pretty plates. Did you painted it? or was it white already? I am going to start Labor day pretty early. I am running a fundraiser 10k race at 7 am...so I'll be getting up around 5am...and it's supposed to rain.

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Kelly,
I love the changes you did. I know exactly how the domino theory starts. One change leads to another!!!
Love that you repurposed the magazine rack to a plate rack. It looks great. Love the coffee table vignette. I love it all. Have a great holiday week end.
Kris

cynthia lee designs said...

Love all the changes that you made. The magazine rack makes an awesome plate rack!!
My hubby and I are celebrating our 34th wedding anniversary this weekend.
Hope you have a great weekend.
hugs,
Cindy

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Such a pretty room and your changes look great! And the horse on your fp...love!
Blessings,
Cindy

Deserae said...

The new plate rack is wonderful....love it paired with the brown transferware plates!!! Everything looks beautiful as always :o)
~Des

Debra@CommonGround said...

always love seeing that wonderful glass door cabinet with the beautiful ironstone!

Lady Pamela said...

Thank you for helping us all with our decorating dilemmas. I have learned so much from your blog and especially from your personal replies to me. Your home looks so inviting.
*Smiles*

Cynthia said...

Kelly, love the changes and that was such a clever idea to use that magazine rack as a plate holder. I also really like the topiary in the basket. They look so neat in there. Your home is always so pretty.

Cynthia

Sandy said...

I love looking at all of your changes! Really like the plate rack and the topiares in the basket. I just noticed the transom architectural detail above your doorway in the living room to the dining area? Think that's the room. I never tire of looking at all of your changes. Your sons are both very handsome and I loved learning more about you when you were featured (can't remember what the name of the blog was). Have a great rest of the long weekend!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

It always looks good no matter what you do...I love that style of plate wrack. I used to have one in my entry but the plates always looked like they could tumble off any minute! Yours is nice and sturdy with lots of rungs. Enjoy Labor Day...Ann

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kelly...I always look forward to every wonderful change that you make...what a great idea to use the rack for plates!!...You just love playing that "domino game"...as you are always a "winner" !...great changes Kelly...love them all...

Becca Bertotti said...

i love that you and Kim share a love of pillows and moving them around. :)

It all looks fabulous, Kelly ... great idea using your son's book rack as the perfect spot to showcase a few of your beautiful plates! And, I love your horse on the mantel and how he contrasts against its lighter background.

must love junk said...

Kelly, I always love your changes! The basket with the 2 topiaries is so fun! (And I have that same huge wire basket that you have behind your couch! Great minds...:)
Susan