Friday, October 31, 2014

Using a Garden Gate as Art

Hello everyone!

And..........Happy Halloween!  Are you all ready for the trick or treaters tonight? I will be, just as soon as I run to the store. Can you believe that I am just now buying candy?!  I have never waited this late to buy it, but must say that I'm glad it wasn't in the house all month tempting me. 

We are finally starting to get some Fall color around here.  These are some trees  behind our house.


Recently, I did a little shopping at an antique store near my house and came across something that I never expected.  I found an old painted garden gate leaning up against the wall and decided it might look good somewhere in my home.  I brought it home and propped it above my fireplace mantel where it has been ever since.  


I fell in love with the old chippy paint and rusty wire.  It even has old hardware on it.


The wood isn't in perfect condition but that is another thing I like about it.  


I love that it looks like it came from an old farm or something.


If it had been any bigger I wouldn't have been able to use it above my mantel.  It's a great statement piece for the room yet flows with the rest of the space.


I took this picture at night, but it gives you more perspective of how it looks in the room from further away.  





The mirror, that was over the mantel, is now in another room.  I will share that with you another day.

Now, it's time to get busy carving the pumpkins!

Hope you have a great Halloween today.

~ Kelly ~

26 comments:

Deserae said...

OMG, I love it!!! It is aboslutely perfect leaning on your mantel!!!! What a great find. Happy Birthday....hope you have a spooktacular day :o)
~Des

Unknown said...

I LOVE your garden gate and it looks great where you've placed it on the mantle. It's chippy weathered goodness adds so much character to your living room!
Sally

Stacey said...

I love it!! It's big and beautiful. So glad you snagged that when you found it. :)

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

To me, a great old gate like that is a piece of art...and it looks fabulous on your mantel, Kelly!

Junkchiccottage said...

Ohhhhhhhh Kelly SCORE!!!!!! Love that gate. You did great to find this piece. It looks wonderful above the mantel. That is a awesome piece.
Kris

chateau chic said...

You have to know that I'm in love with your new find. It looks fabulous as a focal point above your mantel.
Mary Alice

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What a great find!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the garden gate as art! Brilliant idea!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What a fabulous old garden gate! It looks wonderful propped on your mantel.

Art and Sand said...

I love your gate.

I am asking for an old gate for Christmas - I just hope no one else was willing to pay the $95 for an old gate because I really want it. I can't put it over the mantel because it will be too heavy.

Christine at Little Brags said...

Super spot!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!! HAPPY HALLOWEEEENIEEEE

Little Farmstead said...

Love the gate!! I can picture a wreath hanging from it! :) Happy Halloween!

Linda said...

Perfect location for your new found gate!
Love it!

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

Oh, I love it and the size is perfect!! And...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Hope you have a great birthday weekend!!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I have always wanted an old gate like that. Maybe one of these days I'll run across one. Of course, where would I put it? Probably the patio. It looks great there, Kelly!
Brenda

Ivy and Elephants said...

Kelly, I love it! My grandparents had just the same kind of gate, I just loved running through it. The gate is just perfect there, super find!
Hugs,
Patti

cynthia lee designs said...

Love, love, love the garden gate above your fireplace!! It looks like it was made to fit there.
~Cindy

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

Kelly! I love that you change things up all the time. The garden gate is perfect. Exactly my kind of pretty! Love your living room. Happy November!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

The gate looks fantastic on the mantel Kelly...I can see you embellishing it for the seasons...great find!!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

It looks like that old gate was custom made for your mantel, Kelly! I have an old gate that I tried on our mantel, but it was too big to fit the space. I love the chippy wood frame with the simplicity of the wire gate. It's the perfect place to hang a Christmas wreath, too! Love it!

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

It's got just the right amount of chippiness, and the particular shade of white is perfect with your furnishings. It will lend itself nicely to some seasonal decorations but looks beautiful as is too! I don't blame you for grabbing this and taking it home! Absolutely great find!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

What a great find Kelly I love the gate! It looks perfect on your mantel...a great find just in time for holiday decorating!

Suzanne said...

I love your new art. It's so much fun to reinvent funky finds into something truly clever. Okay, I admit I'm not so good at this. But it's fun to watch others who are!

Sandy said...

Love it! perfect for that space!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

The gate was such a great find! It looks perfect on your mantle! All of its imperfections make it that much more interesting!

Anne said...

What a beautiful piece of art Kelly! That gate looks perfect on your mantle!