Friday, January 20, 2017

An Antique Mirror Makeover

Hello everyone!

My husband brought home an old dresser mirror that was found at his parents house.  It is supposed to attach to a dresser (which we have).  I recall wanting the dresser but not the mirror many years ago.  I forgot they still had this mirror.  Well, now that it has been so many years, I have a set of fresh eyes for it!  I decided to take another look at it and see what I could do with it.  This is how the mirror looked originally.




It was very dirty and dark.  So, the first thing that needed to happen was to clean it up.  I used Murphy's oil soap on the wood and Windex on the mirror.  Next, I knew that I wanted to hang it on the wall, so the part that flares out on the bottom was no longer needed and too wide for the area I was going to hang it.  So, my husband cut it down for me.


Now, I was ready to paint!  The dark oak doesn't match my house, so I bought some Annie Sloan Chalk paint in Old White and used that. 


 Here is the first coat.


Then, I added a second coat and propped it up so I could paint the inside of the frame. The mirror moves!


I decided I wanted a distressed look, so I used some sandpaper to rub away some of the paint.


Since it was meant to be attached to the dresser at the bottom, I had to hang some wire on the back so it could hang on the wall instead.


And here it is all finished and hung on the wall!


I love it so much!  It fits perfectly between the two windows in my sitting room.  


I could've used a darker color, but I really wanted a white mirror with distressing since I already had other mirrors in the house in darker colors.

What I love most about it is that it truly is one of a kind!  I doubt I'll ever see one just like this anywhere else.

Now if I only had room for ALL the other mirrors I have stashed in my basement!  I love mirrors.  

I hope you all have a great weekend.  

~ Kelly ~ 

25 comments:

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

Beautiful Kelly! Isn't it funny how things we've passed on someday become "the perfect thing?" I think we have all been there! I just finished painting an old mirror myself and hope to get it hung this weekend. I have been totally slacking on posting lately, but hope to do something soon. Have a wonderful weekend. Jane

NanaDiana said...

That looks GREAT! I have painted a couple of old mirrors myself that used to be dresser mirrors. Love them. That turned out perfect and you are right- you will never see another one quite like it. xoDiana

Sonny G said...

Now you have a very unique treasure that is all yours..

well done on the painting too..

Debra said...

I love you transformed the mirror. It looks wonderful. I love the power of paint.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

It turned out great!

Our Hopeful Home said...

I have a vintage mirror stash as well! Some I want to paint, others I just liked and had to have from thrift stores. This one turned out gorgeous, and perfect for that spot! I would love something like that for my bedroom. xo Kathleen Charm Bracelet Diva {At Home}

Deserae said...

Love it!!! It is just perfect hung over the chest :o)
~Des

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

It looks beautiful, Kelly...and so nice it was from your husband's parents!

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

It looks so at home above the dresser, like it's been there for years. Very pretty Kelly!

This N That said...

You are right ! One of a kind for sure...Have a good weekend.

Debra@CommonGround said...

it's gorgeous and perfect for that spot!!!

Brenda Pruitt said...

What a gorgeous piece, Kelly! You lucked out on that one for sure!
Brenda

Scribbler said...

Really nice piece! Is that the chest it originally belonged to underneath?

Finding Grace Interiors said...

What a beautiful transformation!! It looks like a different mirror. It is pretty amazing how much paint can change something! And it looks perfect between your windows!

Junkchiccottage said...

So glad this pretty piece of family history has come back to live in your pretty house. Love the white distressing you did to it.
It fits perfectly. Meant to be. Beautiful job Kelly. Happy Friday and Happy Weekend.
xoxo
Kris

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I just love old beveled glass mirrors, and yours is no exception. Gorgeous! In case you didn't pay attention, it's got my name chalked on the back- 911. hehe Love the little framed piece on your dresser, too!

I've got a stash of old mirrors I can't let go of either.

Happy weekend!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh I absolutely love itm Kelly!

You did a wonderful job making something old into something perfect for you now. SO GLAD they held onto it - you can't find those classics affordably anymore. Whoo hoo.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

What a beautiful mirror! I just love the carved wood at the top! It looks so pretty in white and perfect for your home!

Wild Oak Designs said...

It looks great!
We have a mirror that goes with my Hubby's dresser. We took it off because there were to many mirrors in the room (very un fung shui) as we have mirrored closet doors...
It now is in the guest room, standing on the bedside table....it works there, though it's a bit low....
Nancy
wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Katie Mansfield said...

I love mirrors too. It looks fantastic. Thanks for the tutorial.

Ron said...

Perfect!!!

Rustic Maple Elizabeth said...

It looks lovely in the Old White and its new spot. It reminds me of a smaller version of the one in the Linen and Flax store photos you shared.

AntiqueChase said...

It really looks great!!

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

It looks like it was made for that wall between the windows! I've turned down things too, then after looking at it with fresh eyes, I all of a sudden want it again. Lol! You did a great job distressing it and making it your own.

Bonnie said...

Your mirror turned out great. It looks so nice hung on the wall and is special that it was a family piece your husbands family. I like how you accessorized the chest also.
Have a great weekend.